Sunday 26 May 2013

A Powerful Day in the Millennium City

In the scorching summer if you happen to be in the National Capital Region but specifically outside Delhi then  you can have a harrowing time.

A Kingfisher on a 'powerless' line 

I will just narrate the story of yesterday about how 'powerful' the city of Gurgaon is. Gurgaon is known as the 'Millennium City' though I have my doubts as to which millennium people are referring to. I am specifically citing only Sushant Lok and DLF here as these were areas I was in yesterday.

Yesterday there was no electricity first from 10.15 AM to 1.45 PM and as if this was not enough then there was another cut from 3 PM to 3.30 PM and then another one from 4.45 PM to 7 PM. And I am only talking about the electricity cuts that I noticed as for some time I was also on the roads so there could have been more cuts at that time as well. Even later in the night in DLF-I also while eating in a restaurant there were electricity cuts thrice!

And even if there is 'power' I noticed that there is so much of constant fluctuation that the air-conditioners are more of show pieces as in such low and fluctuating voltages the AC's won't run. I am sure all electrical appliances die prematurely in Gurgaon.

The Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (DHBVN) charges much higher rates for the electricity than Delhi but what is the point of charging higher if there is still no electricity. Or if there is electricity the quality of it is so bad with high voltage fluctuations.

I know a couple who shifted to Gurgaon just a couple of days back first from US to Jamshedpur where they said they had 24 hours electricity and water thanks to the Tata's providing these to the city there. When they shifted to Gurgaon what a welcome they are having for the past few days with no electricity as as yet they have not been able to install an inverter!

No comments: